Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Canterbury Falls! (also Little Canterbury Falls, Mill and Lower Mill Falls)

My brother was visiting from Ottawa this weekend, so with the good weather and a day off, we decided to find a waterfall with my Dad! I had biked past Canterbury Falls before, but never really got a good view. Canterbury Falls is in behind Old Dundas Road, and there are a few different ways to get there. There is an entrance to the Heritage Trail right before a parking lot for the Ancaster Old Mill. We followed that for a bit, and there is a map that shows how to get to the falls - eventually the trail forks and joins with the Bruce Trail - keep right! It took about 20 minutes to walk there, through a gorgeous forest, complete with meadows and wildflowers.





We also passed a high school class heading the opposite way, and heard someone comment about how "people do this for fun??" in reference to us I suppose. I wish I was able to do this for school! We got to the falls, and it comes from a small stream, but it is a gorgeous ribbon waterfall.













This was such a gorgeous waterfall, and I really enjoyed that it wasn't one of the major ones that everyone talks about, but it was still really accessible and very picturesque. There weren't a lot of people around, even though it was a gorgeous day, and there is a ton of potential to turn seeing this falls into a longer bike trip or hike, since it is on the Bruce Trail and accessible from the Heritage Trail/Rail Trail if you wanted to come from even further!

(Edit: for another hike including Canterbury Falls in the winter, check out this post!)

Just down the path, there was Little Canterbury Falls, which was very, very little. It was pretty dried up, so I'd like to see what it looks like in the spring time.


On our way back to the car we passed the Ancaster Old Mill, and decided to stop by just to check off my list two of the falls that they have on their property. There is a little patio right next to one of them, and I would just love to have dinner there! It was nice to get to see these ones in passing, because I wouldn't go specifically to seek them out, but it's always interesting seeing the variety of falls that are in a particular area.


Above is Mill Falls, and below is Lower Mills Falls.


Family bonding, nature time, and I finally got to see the falls close up, without whipping by it on my bike!





No comments:

Post a Comment